What colour is that?
I'm really colourblind. There are quite a few apps that let you point your camera at something and tell you what colour it is, but they're either too erratic or too precise in the names of colours they give.
After years of frustration, I decided to make my own. This does a few things:
- it averages the sample over a second or two, so the colour it's matching doesn't flicker with camera noise.
- it uses a simple list of colours, because anything more specific is useless to me, and gives the top 5 closest matches in case it's between a few named colours, along with bars showing how confident it is.
- I weighted the colour names, so you have to be really close to 'teal' for it to say 'teal'.
- it uses the CIEDE2000 metric to calculate the closest colours, which matches perceived colour better than Euclidean distance in RGB space.
- most of the screen is filled with the colour it's thinking about, with a small peephole for the camera view, so you can see the colour it's naming.